Recipe: Chipotle Chili Cheese Hotdog
What you will need:
- 4 foot-long hot dogs
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce, plus more for serving (optional)
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 4 soft hoagie rolls, split open
- 4 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- Sliced scallions and/or sour cream for topping (optional)
Cook the bacon into slightly crisp over medium heat, it should take 3 - 4 minutes. Then add the onion, chili powder, and cumin for 3 minutes until the onion softens. Stir in the ketchup and cook until it is slightly browned for 2 - 3 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, hot sauce and 1 cup water, cover and bring to a boil. For the next 20 minutes, stir occasionally until the mixture thickens.
Grill the hot dogs until marked, turning on each side for about 10 minutes. Toast the rolls on the grill, for an extra hint of crunchiness in your bite.
Add a generous amount of cheese on the inside of each roll and add a hot dog. Top your hot dog with the bean mixture, scallions, sour cream and/or hot sauce to your own liking.